Friday, August 26, 2016

Review: We Don't Talk Anymore (Charlie Puth feat. Selena Gomez) (UPDATED)

Oh boy, another "tropical" song? What's with this year and tropical music?

Ever since Justin Bieber's smash hit What Do You Mean (which I've probably gushed about before), there has been a bit of an... obsession with tropical-sounding music on the charts. Specifically, this time we'll be talking a song of the tropical house genre. Tropical house doesn't strictly originate in the Caribbean, and is kind of a new genre to grace the electronic scene. It's a fusion of dancehall and deep house, the former being rather traditionally Jamaican and the latter being a rather heavy and melody-driven genre of electronic music. 

So who better to give such a rich genre to but Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez, amirite?

To be fair, I don't know if I would actually call this tropical house or not; it doesn't feel especially tropical. I'll try to explain how I feel about this song a bit better. For now, I'll just say I used to dislike this song a lot more than I do now. This is gonna be fairly brief, so don't get your hopes up.


 This is a standard, basic love song about lovers who claim to have moved on and yet are still clinging on to memories.

(EDIT: Oh jeez, I accidentally published this, didn't I? Christ.)

Anyway... yeah, this is a very standard song. Still, standard doesn't mean bad. This song is actually the closest to good Charlie Puth has ever gotten. Heck, I'd even say it's the best thing Selena Gomez has put out since The Heart Wants What it Wants. Still, the main problem is that it's still Charlie Puth and Selena Gomez.

See, even when these guys are trying their hardest, they're still never gonna be the best thing out there. Charlie Puth is still the Wonder Bread of pop singers, and Selena Gomez is still really boring. Heck, I'd say they're less lively here than on some of their other songs.

You may be asking. "You said this song was good. Why is it good?" Why, once again, it's the production. I'm more of a production guy than a lyrics guy, if you couldn't tell. There is a smooth, clean feeling to this song. Heck, I'd say Charlie and Selena kind of help this song's production move along because they are not loud. They are soft, they are sad. It's not downbeat, but it's definitely mellow.

So overall, it's a good song. It's definitely a grower, and I hope this is a sign for their careers to come. Heck, maybe if it grows on me some more, it could make the Top 10 at the end of the year. But for now, we can just settle on "good."

SCORE: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment