Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Review: Let Me Love You (DJ Snake feat. Justin Bieber)

"Goddamn it, Bieber! Quit making songs I like!"

If you can't tell, I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with former teen pop star Justin Bieber. Even after his big comeback, I find it hard to justify the fact that I like his current material. I know he sounds bored all the time, but it's oddly charming. He's incredibly uninteresting on his own, but with a bit of help, he can definitely make some good tunes. A good example is this collaboration with the French DJ and producer DJ Snake.

Now, DJ Snake is not the most well-known of people. He got his start as a graffiti artist, which is how he got the Snake moniker. Eventually as a teenager he became a DJ, and at 19 he began producing. His first major work was as co-producer on the Lady Gaga song Government Hooker, often considered one of the best tracks off of Born This Way. Nevertheless, he didn't get commercially successful until he started taking credit for his own songs.

DJ Snake's first commercially successful song was Turn Down For What, a near-perfect party anthem featuring rapper Lil Jon. His remix of You Know You Like It by AlunaGeorge was next, followed by his collaboration with Major Lazer and MØ, Lean On. At this point, DJ Snake was on fire. He started working on an album. The first single, The Middle featuring British singer Bipolar Sunshine came out, and it was pretty okay. I can see why some people disliked it, but I liked it. Now, his fifth and most recent top 20, Let Me Love You, has arrived. Is it any good? Well, if you saw the first line, you'd already know. But hey, let's do the review anyway.


DJ Snake is one of the most easy-to-recognize producers in the business right now. For one, it's the main sample on the chorus, which I have heard compared to Woody Woodpecker. This is the same sample he used on Lean On, and it still somehow sounds good. Of course, the tone of this song is a lot darker; not necessarily lyrically, but tonally, this song is a lot moodier than Lean On, which was upbeat and energetic.

Let's not forget SuperBieber himself. We can ignore the lyrics, they're generic, but perfectly passable. No, I want to give this man credit for actually emoting. Bieber usually has trouble expressing any emotion besides "mildly pissed" or "I'm into you I guess," if only because he rivals fellow Canadian musician Drake in monotony. Here... I dare say, he sounds great. Justin Bieber, you get the thumbs up. Not the greatest performer in the world, but you've had a good year. Certainly makes up for "Shawty is an eenie-meenie-minie-moe lovah."

But hell, these are some 10/10 production values right here. I would listen to this on repeat for the production alone. In fact, that's what I've been doing while I've been writing this. If you don't like this kind of stuff, you'd probably think I'm crazy. The production is chilling, yet comfortable. Some of the best use of echo I've heard in a while. Now, I am in no way qualified to determine what is perfect and what is not, but either this or Cold Water... one of these songs... best one I've ever covered. Right now, I'll have to give the edge to this, but once the year-end comes, those number scales will be completely useless. I'll see you all next review.

SCORE: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment