Thursday, December 8, 2016

Best and Worst Hits of 2016 (Introduction)

The year-end list has finally arrived. As compiled here and here, we have an official list of the 100 biggest, most successful songs of the 2016 chart year, extending from early December of 2015 to late November of 2016. I figured this would be a good time to explain what I'm working on now.

Overall, 2016 has been a weak year for pop music when compared to 2015. Not only are there less good songs, but there have been a lot more meh-worthy songs too. Still, it's not like this year was devoid of either extreme. There was greatness, and there was trash, and I'm going to compile both. Yes, I am going to give the top 10 best and worst of this year, with a few honorable mentions to go around for each. I shall explain my rules for this list in full.

  1. I will only be including songs that charted on the year end list for the top 10's. That means that songs such as Juju on That Beat, 24k Magic or Black Beatles will be illegible for this list, but if they make 2017's year-end list they will be eligible for that corresponding list.
  2. For (dis)honorable mentions, I may break this rule to talk about a song I really liked or disliked but did not make it onto the list.
  3. I will be allowing songs that showed up on the 2015 year-end as long as they also appear on the 2016 year-end. The same will go for 2016 and 2017.
  4. The scores I gave in my reviews no longer matter. Those were for how I felt when I wrote them, this list is how I feel right now.
  5. That being said, I will not give each song a new score this time around. Too much effort.
  6. Since this is a top list, this will be ordered in terms of quality, number 1 being the best/worst and number 10 being least-awful.
  7. Honorable mentions will be reserved either for (see rule 2) or a song that just narrowly failed to make the cut by either being not good enough or not bad enough.
With all of that being said, thank you for your patience, and I'll try to get the lists done before January. I'll catch you next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment