Sunday, April 9, 2017

Review: Rockabye (Clean Bandit featuring Sean Paul and Anne-Marie

ALL THE SINGLE LADIES who are stuck raising children NOW PUT YOUR HANDS UP.

     I figured I'd cover a more international hit this time around. It's not that none of the songs on the charts are good, it's just that I'd like to cover something that's not as insanely successful in the United States as it is overseas. I think I've found the right song for that.


     This is Rockabye, a bit of dancehall-ish tropical house by British electronic group Clean Bandit, featuring vocals from Jamaican recording artist Sean Paul and British singer and songwriter (but not always a singer-songwriter) Anne-Marie. This song has been absolutely massive internationally (especially in the UK and Australia) yet has only made it into the top 10 very recently because of an iTunes sale. Am I happy it's finally in the Top 10, or do I wish it never crossed over at all? Let's figure that out.

     Well, first off, this is nothing like most of their other material. Clean Bandit tend to like to use lots of classical instruments in their recordings, with each member knowing how to play actual instruments instead of just knowing how to press buttons on a table. I mean, sure, the intro and outro all feature their signature instruments, but this is a lot more... tropical than usual. Yep, it's time for Yet Another Tropical House Song!

     Honestly, I don't try to cover so many tropical house/dancehall-ish pop tracks, it's just what's in right now. Blame Justin Bieber's comeback in 2015. It sounds nice, though I do admit it doesn't feel very inspired. When it comes to the sound department, other Clean Bandit songs just feel a lot better. Rather Be, their last hit, was so much more interesting and fun, and this is just kind of... okay. Good. Decent. Nothing great.

     That's kind of how I'd describe the song as a whole, really. I mean, I guess there's the lyrics? They're about a single mother trying to raise a child, it's tough. That's nice, I guess. But yeah, it's... slightly above average. I really can't think of much else to say, it's just... eh. It's alright. Next time maybe I'll cover a song that brings about a more emotional response in me, but for now... eh. There's this.

SCORE: 6.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment