Saturday, October 8, 2016

Leagueposting: The New Yorick's Rampage

For the record, here is the old Yorick.

Feel old, yet?
 
Now, here is is after last month's rework.

Feel cool, yet?
 
Yep, Yorick, the old fool I wrote about two months ago, is a new man. New lore, too. He's still in command of spirits to ruin your day, but it feels more modern and less clunky now. Considering he was on the free champion rotation for the first time in years, I decided to take a good look at him.

The first game I played with him was in the weekly game mode, Definitely Not Dominion, based on the old Dominion game mode they got rid of back in February. Here, you have to capture points on a map to deal damage to a giant crystal near the enemy spawn. It's a simple game mode, but not a terrible one. So, how did I do?

Well, I won, but I didn't do too well. My KDA ratio was leaning more toward deaths and assists, but since I wasn't terrible, I ended with a B rank. My main strategy was to figure out exactly how this champ worked whilst trying to stop the enemy team from capturing a very specific point. Yorick's ultimate, which spawns an ultra-powerful mist spirit, proved to be useful for this situation, considering how beefy the thing was. Yorick as a whole was fairly beefy, too. I could take quite a beating from the enemy team and it would take me a few seconds before they could take me down.

The second game I played was on the main map, Summoner's Rift. This game... well, that was a whole different story. For one, I ended with an A rank instead of a B. Secondly, the enemy team ended up surrendering. How could this be? Well, allow me to pull my memory out and see how accurate it is.

I went to the top lane, the normal home for beefy fighters and anyone that counters beefy fighters. Yorick fit the former category, so off I went. My lane opponent was Vi, a diving fighter with a lot more speed, but less bulk. Since she was personally one of my favorite champs, I knew how to play against her.

Here's Vi, in case you're curious.

Early on, our exchanges were a bit iffy. I didn't have all of my skills, and we ended up with two kills on each other before I got my main items. Once I obtained the Trinity Force, however, things were totally different. You see, the Trinity Force is an expensive, but still great item to own for certain champions, Vi and Yorick included. With the Trinity Force at my disposal, I had multiple offensive stats beefed up, and my abilities, including my ultimate, were more powerful.

I was a force to be reckoned with. I died three times in twenty five minuets, but at the same time, I had nine kills and a ton of gold for more items. The smaller spirits I summoned helped with that a lot. My strategy would be to summon my spirits with my secondary Q and occasionally my R, wall them in with W, and hit them with E to make the spirits attack them specifically. That, combined with my Q's damage-empowering primary ability and damage-dealing E allowed me to kill tons of enemies without really thinking about it. Another item that helped for those last couple of minutes was the Tiamat, a melee-only item that deals splash damage to minions, thus allowing me to kill minions quickly and get to the enemy base.

Sadly, I did not get to enjoy destroying the enemy base. They surrendered immediately after we took the top lane turret, likely because their support was AFK for most of the game. Still, it counted as a win, I got my A, and it was a good day.

Overall, what did I think of this champion? I loved him! I loved every minute of playing him! A resilient fighter who can raise ghosts from the spirits of dead enemies is a pretty awesome concept, but with the rework they actually managed to make it fun. Congrats, Riot. I can't wait for Warwick to get his rework soon. This has been another episode of Leagueposting, and I'll see you guys next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment